Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    webforu
    Participant

I have purchase the URE Pro and can not find a way to add to the existing ‘editor’ role the access rights to see Appearance > MENU and Appearance > WIDGETS.

Can you please explain what steps I would need to take. I am sure I am missing something very obvious.

Regards,
    Z

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Add “edit_theme_options” capability to the “editor” role:
    1) Open “Users->User Role Editor”, select “Editor” role.
    2) Turn ON checkbox for the “edit_theme_options” capability, click “Update”.

After that user with “Editor” role will receive access to the full “Appearance” menu, as all its submenu items are protected by the same “edit_theme_options” capability.
    If you wish to allow to the ‘editor’ role to work just with “Menu” and “Widgets” items of the “Appearance” menu, you need to block other items with “Admin Menu Access” add-on.

webforu
    Participant

Dear Vladimir. Great instructions. Worked like a charm. Thank you.

mcwindows
    Participant

Hi,
    I would like to be able to allow access to some widgets, but not the theme options. Is that possible?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, it’s possible.
    1st, grant access to the ‘Appearance’ menu for the role adding ‘edit_theme_options’ capability to it.
    2nd, block unneeded menu items of “Appearance” menu using Admin menu access add-on.

dsiwp
    Participant

Hello,

I just purchased the PRO version just to give access to the REDIRECTION plugin to the editor role, I tried everything I could with no results,

how can I give tools-> redirection access to the editor role ?

thnaks

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

Send exact download link for the Redirection plugin.

Emeris
    Participant

Hey Vladimir,

Did the Redirection Plugin question get resolved? I have the same issue. How to enable the Editor User access to use Redirection under the Tools menu?

Thanks…

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

What redirection plugin to you use. Send download link here if it’s free. Or share its copy with support [at-sign] role-editor.com via DropBox or similar service in order I can test and investigate what permissions it requires.

Emeris
    Participant

Thanks Vladimir for lightning response! 🙂

I am using the free version:

Redirection

Thank you soooo much!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Redirection plugin uses ‘administrator’ role by default to protect its menu and pages.
    Fortunately, plugin author makes this via custom filter ‘redirection_role’. So it’s possible to use any custom capability instead of administrator role to provide access to this plugin for user with other role.

For example, add new user capability ‘edit_redirections’. Grant it to the ‘Editor’ role. Add custom code below to your active theme functions.php file or install it as a Must Use plugin.

add_filter('redirection_role', 'change_redirection_role', 10, 1);

function change_redirection_role($role) {

$cap = 'edit_redirections';

return $cap;
    }

Emeris
    Participant

Hey cool thanks for quick workaround.

Appreciated!

friedli
    Participant

Hello Vladimir

I have done like described but the user with the role editor cannot open the widget areas. The user only sees the widget area box but when he clicks on it, it doesn’t open. What could be the problem?

Thanks for your quick support.

Daniel

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel,

Look at the browser JavaScript console (F12 for Google Chrome) if it shows any JavaScript errors.

friedli
    Participant

Hi Vladimir

Yes it does. https://snipboard.io/rT3iR1.jpg

I am also in contact with the theme author. They say the issue could be your plugin because it is changing the core behaviour (widgets should not appear by default for editor role accounts). They have a look into it. Maybe you can have a look into this too?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.