Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Bug Reports User can not edit theme settings

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ronaldus
    Participant

Hi there,
    I installed the plugin in a MS install from a client.
    I use a child theme of WooThemes Canvas, an often used theme (https://www.woothemes.com/products/canvas/).

My client wants to edit some theme settings, but they do not appear, even with all theme related settings unchecked, so available.

Can you help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

>>with all theme related settings unchecked
    Is it a typo ‘unchecked’? You should turn ON ‘edit_theme_options’ capability for that user role.

In case you need further help please send a copy of Canvas theme installation package to support[at-sign]role-editor.com. I will test it.
    Any commercial product copy I get for testing is used at my local test environment only.

ronaldus
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

Thx for responding!
    No, not a typo: edit_theme_options is checked, and in the admin menu settings they are all unchecked.

I email you a file named canvas.zip in a minute!

Cheers!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Ronaldus,

Canvas theme uses ‘manage_options’ capability to protect all its submenu items except ‘Settings’, which uses ‘edit_theme_options’ as expected.

ronaldus
    Participant

Thx Vladimir!
    I had no idea that manage_options was about the theme options; I thought the site-options…
    Yes, that solved it for now, thx very much!!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Ronaldus,

Yes, ‘manage_options’ is about site settings. It protects the ‘Settings’ menu. The most often it’s used by plugins which add menu item to the ‘Settings’ menu. So it’s just the Canvas theme’s developer choice.

Check that you did not give to the user with ‘manage_options’ much more permissions than you initially planned. May be you need to block some extra menu items with Admin menu blocking module.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.